Suggest treatment for painful lump on the fingers

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: I have a quarter size painful lump on the top of ny hand just north of my index finger. It is painful to close my fingers and after soaking in epsom salt water, suspecting a spider bite, my vein from thumb up to past braclet area turned very blue and swollen. What is happening?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be an Abscess.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It could be an Abscess.
If the pus is collected, it has to be incised and drained.
The infection sometimes spread along the lymphatics or veins causing similar picture like yours.
Initially, I prescribe Antibiotic like Clindamycin 300mg capsules twice daily along with anti inflammatory tablet twice daily for 5 days.If the pus doesn't come down, I will drain the pus
Please consult your doctor, get examined clinically and proceed accordingly.
Hope I answered your query.If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Please attach a pic showing the lesion.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D