Suggest treatment for painful lump on scalp

Question
Hi , I have a painfull lump between my sideburns and scalp on the right side . My head and scalp are tender to the touch only on the one side . I have no insurance . I have been in good health except for a slight earache the week before this started
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please provide a photo of the painful lump...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

From what you are describing, the painful lump between your sideburns and scalp on the right side with prior earache might be a possible:

- swollen lymph-node: the earache you had is indicative for otitis (infection of the ear). Further evaluation by ENT specialist is advised to start oral antibiotics and local ear drops

- infection of hair follicle: a course of oral antibiotics and local medications

A photo of the lump is needed for further evaluation. Can you send it?

I advise to take acetaminophen or other OTC painkillers.

Do not use ear buds to clean your ear.

Keep a good oral and ear hygiene.

Looking forward to have the photo in!
Dr.Albana