Suggest treatment for painful lump on head

Dr. Muhammed Aslam

Posted on Tue, 30 Sep 2014 in Lump
Question: Within 24 hrs i developed a painful growth on the lower left hand side of my skull. It is painful to the touch. After massaging it for a while, the pain is radiating with a kind of migraine like ripple effect

Answered by Dr. Muhammed Aslam 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Soft tissue infection likely

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,welcome to HCM forum.

Painful swelling appearing spontaneously in such a short duration is most likely caused by a soft tissue infection(like folliculitis) there.
After confirming the diagnosis by a physical examination,this can be treated with antibiotics and analgesics for a few days.For such cases I usually give antibiotics like amoxicillin+cloxacillin/clavulonate for 5 -7 days.Kindly see your doctor.He will guide you.

Meanwhile,you can take simple analgesics like ibuprofen for pain relief.
Kindly avoid massaging,as it will cause spread of infection to surrounding areas and increasing pain.Massaging has role in traumatic swellings;not in infective.

Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing for a faster cure.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D