Suggest treatment for painful lump near the knee

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: The area in back of my knee and a little above started aching this afternoon. I can feel a lump there. Should I go to the emergency room or is it safe to wait until tomorrow?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's better to go to Emergency room.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Swelling associated with pain could be an Abscess.
It's better to go to Emergency room. ,get examined clinically and proceed accordingly.
If the pus has formed,it will be removed by Incision and Drainage. If it is in the formation stage;then Antibiotic and anti inflammatory tablets will be prescribed. I prescribe Antibiotic Linezolid 600mg tablet twice daily till symptoms subside.
Hope answered your query.If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj