Suggest treatment for painful lump between ear and scalp

Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I have a painful lump between my ear and side burn that is not movable . My scalp and head is sore to the touch . I have no insurance at the moment
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be Lymph node

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms

Presence of painful lump between side burn and ear is likely to be either Parotid gland swelling or Lymph node. Soreness in the scalp without associated swelling is likely to be due to seborrhoeic dermatitis.

I would suggest you the following

1. Analgesic like Ibuprofen will be helpful
2. Five Day antibiotic: Antibiotic like Cefixime will be helpful
3. Ketoconazole shampoo like nizral for application to scalp

Do get back to me with clinical photograph for further assessment and evaluation

Best regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak
MBBS, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj