• question-icon

Suggest treatment for painful lipomas on chest

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have chest pains which do not appear to be cardiac. They do not become worse with exercise or eating. I also have some painful lipomas on my chest. Could they be the reason.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that there are no painful lipomas.

You should know that lipomas are benign tumors, which contain fat tissue. They do not hurt. They are elastic to touch (when they lie under the skin), not attached to the skin.

The fact that they hurt, may be related to different causes (inflammation, an infection or degenerative changes).

What tests have you performed to determine that they are lipomas? Inflammatory lymph nodes can be very similar to lipomas, but in addition they hurt.

I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- a chest X ray study
- an ultrasound of the soft tissues
- some blood lab tests (complete blood count, PCR, sedimentation rate, kidney and liver function tests).

A needle biopsy may be necessary to examine better the nature of these lesions which appear to be lipomas.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist