Suggest treatment for painful kneecap

Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I fell directly on my kneecap a little over a year ago. The Dr. Indicated X-rays were not needed and gave me a cortisone shot. The right lower side of kneecap, inner leg, still hurts and is completely discolored, it looks like dead tissue now and the area is concave. I'm wondering at this point what is the problem and best way to treat it. Thank you, XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get xray done.

Detailed Answer:

For your exact diagnose to be made, get xray of both knees standing in AP view done and send me the report. I want to see the present condition of your joint.

Also upload the picture of discolored area, it usually occurs due to side effect of cortisone shot.The indentation which has formed after steroid injections can take upto 6 months to heal and fill in when collages in formed but sometimes it may take longer or less depending on the depth of the indentation and the response of the skin. If it persist then you can get collagen filling and laser resurfacing done.

Till then you should try to avoid squatting and upstairs as as much as you can.

Take aceclofenac +serratiopeptiase, joint pain relief crime by prescription of your local doctor.

Thanks.

Dr.Singh.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D