Suggest treatment for painful inflammed ear lobe

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 17 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My teenage daughter has just today started complaining of her ear lobe hurting. It is red and inflamed and hurts to touch. It throbs when she leans over. No real ache on the inside of the ear but the outside I very painful. It has started hurting tonight in the area around the ear and neck. She feels achy and blah! Slight headache. Concerned, but honestly as a mom of 4 I take most things with a grain of salt. However, this is a first, never had one of them complain with these symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
external ear infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
In my opinion, your daughter must be having infection of the outter ear.
Since the external ear has cartilage in it, slight infection also is very painful.
This needs medical evaluation.
If I were your treating doctor, I would have prescribed penicillin antibiotics + anti inflammatory medicines for 5 to 7 days. All these are prescription medicines, so I would advise you to consult with the doctor and get evaluated.
Emperically you can take anti inflammatory medicines like paracetamol + diclofenac combination drugs twice daily for 3 to 5 days to relieve the pain.
Hot fomentation is advised.
Hope my answers have helped you. Pleased to help you further. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D