Suggest treatment for painful fractured pelvis

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
My 89 year old mother has fractured her pelvis. She is having a high level of pain. An X-ray shows a hematoma, near the injury. What pain reliever would you recommend for dealing with the hematoma and its possible inflammation?
I say a NSAID pain reliever should tried. Because of her age, would doctors be hesitant to use NSAID type pain relievers?
Demerol has failed.

Thanks...... XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may send the x-ray picture

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting.
I have gone through your query and understand your concern.My suggestion for her are as following-
1.Rest,support the limb in whatever position she is comfortable,Pelvic compression belt helps by giving support to Fracture pelvis.
2.Give her liquid to semiliquid diet which is easily digested at her age.
3.She may have pain killer parcacetamol and tramadol, a safe pain killer available in oral/ Injectable form.
To understand better please upload/send the x-ray picture.
To sum up pelvic belt is the main treatment and is suplemented by pain killer.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any furher query.