Suggest treatment for painful fissure on labia

Question
I have a fissure between my labia majora and labia minora that appeared (or that I noticed) last night after having sex. I had a burning pain that I could not relieve and it was painful to urinate after intercourse. I do remember touching that area after sex and feeling what felt like a tiny ball of toilet paper come off on my finger. Now I'm wondering if it was skin that came off. Initially it felt like my labia was lined with splinters, but now it is just an intense burning. Today I woke up with it still there, and now my entire right labia is red. It doesn't look particularly swollen but it is VERY painful! Wearing panties hurts, sitting hurts, walking hurts...I've been putting neosporin + pain relief on it, but it's not helping. I've been wondering if I have a yeast infection for the past few weeks (smell, itch, white thick discharge that is not lumpy though) and I'm wondering if the two could be linked. I'm 23, female, 135 lbs, history of chlamydia that was treated successfully per test of cure. I have had the same partner for the last 1.5 years and have been monogamous. I have no reason to believe he has been with anyone else.
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Due to vulvovaginitis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
From your symptoms it looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub which occurred after intercourse or the second possibility is of an infection can be caused by bacteria or yeast. However the possibility of an infection is higher in your case because infection is associated with change in vaginal discharge as well and it may change the color, consistency or smell of the discharge.
I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to find out the bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful and continue using neosporin. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1) Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal