Suggest treatment for painful bumps on the vagina lips and near the rectal area

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I have been getting painful pimple like bumps on my vaginal lips and below the hole near my rectum. A pharmacist recommended benadryl cream which helps topically to take away the pain, yet every time I urinate it goes over the bumps near my rectum, etc. and creates pain again. I also have to tilt from side to side or cough in order to urinate now. Why?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I need more details...

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the question. So, you are 58 years of age and have painful bumps on the labia and in the space between the vagina and rectum. It also hurts while you urinate:

1. When did these first appear?
2. Do they look like blisters?
3. Is there any associated itching?
4. Do you have any medical problems?

Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
It does not hurt to urinate, just when the urine touches the pimples, then it hurts. It started about a week ago. I have sleep apnea and diabetes. It itched yes, and later felt like pimples, or sores.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vulvar / vaginal yeast infection

Detailed Answer:
The absolute most likely cause of what you are describing is related to a yeast infection. The skin is inflamed and tender, and it is not suprising that it is irritated with urine. Also, diabetes is a risk factor for this occurring. Yes, we typically think about a yeast infection as a vaginal discharge that itches, but you can have a local skin reaction that includes what you are describing.

The best treatment is to call your doctor for a prescription for an oral medication called Diflucan. You can use over the counter creams, but they will take much longer to work. For the itching, hydrocortisone cream will work much better than Benadryl. Finally, it is worth re-visiting whether your diabetes is in good control, because if it is not, then this will be more difficult to control over time.

Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D