Suggest treatment for painful breast

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
I have a concern about a painful breast on one Side only. It started about 3 months ago and is not related to my menstrul cycle. I did get on birth control a month ago, but the pain came before that. I went to my doctor who did not feel any lumps (I have not either) but she sent me for an ultrasound that came back normal, just extremely fibrocysistic and dense. It mildly hurts close to my armpit-middle of breast area and I seem to touch it about 24 hours a day now because I'm worried about it. This seems to make the pain worse. Could the pain be amplified because I'm touching it so much? I have an appointment with a surgeon in 2 weeks because if the pain doesn't go away, I would like additional testing. Is there anything you have seen like this in your practice or anything you could suggest for me? Thank you!
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reassure yourself.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Certainly yes, seen many cases like this getting pain in the breast, but getting a pain in one breast only as you noted is not that common. and not that common at your age.

Ultrasonography is showing fibrocystic and dense breast. It is not showing a lump or any suggestions of cancer or so. I can understand your plight and may be a phobia of a cancer. Cancers do not cause so much pain and ultrasonography and palpation by you and your Doctor is negative for a lump. This is sufficient evidence that there is no cancer. So if you have such a thought please remove it from mind.

Yes, the pain can be amplified , and in your case is certainly so by the constant touching. I was wondering why would you be taking Trazodone, multi-vitamins and Allegra.

I would just like to know the following please:
Do you have children? If yes, have you breast fed them?
Is there any history of direct or indirect trauma to the area of the breast that is painful?
Are you taking any medicines for the pain?
Is Trazodone necessary for you and why is Allegra being taken?

Support the breast properly.
Give rest to the upper arm on the same side.
Try hot fomentation.
Do not touch the painful area and if not avoidable use a pad in such a way that you can not touch it really.
Vitamin E and Disprin in half the dosage had a role in the past, please discuss this with your Doctor
No hormonal tablets to be taken at all at the moment.
May be you need to alter the dosage of Trazadone after discussing with your Doctor.

Remember a Dictum- pain is a good sign and helps to rule out cancer in early stages as it will never cause such a pain.