Suggest treatment for painful attacks in the back of knee

Posted on Fri, 5 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I have painful attacks in the back of my knee that is described as feeling like electric shocks. Many times these are so painful that they bring me right down to the floor where I scream out in agony. There is no pattern of when this happens. They are very random and can occur when I'm sitting, walking, running or laying in bed. They also can occur once in a day or week, or several times in the same day. The location of these painful electric shocks is in the back of the knee about an inch or two below where the knee bends.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Medical and imaging evaluation needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

There is need to clarify some points about your condition: is there any knee disfunction? did you noticed any bump in that area? touching or hitting that area reproduces pain? did you use any treatment and was it successfull?

In my opinion, two possible conditions should be evaluated as cause of your symptoms:
- First, related to nerve compression or benign mass ( Neuroma)
-Second, knee tendons problems. (tendinitis eg.)

Both these conditions need a direct physical medical evaluation and imaging studies.

To assess the nerve compression possiblity, there is need for nerve conduction study ( EMG).

To evaluate tendon problems and any nerve mass, a knee MRI needed to be done.

I suggest you to discuss above mentioned possibilities about examinations with your primary care Doctor.

The treatment depends on diagnosis.

I remain at your disposal for further questions or clarifications.

Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 13 minutes later
Hi Dr. Thanks for your answer. There is no
Disfunction and no bump and no hitting is involved. I am worried that the mass is not benign. If there is a nereve compression where could it be? Can I take any temp pain killer just to be able to sleep tonight. Thanks .
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can use Ibuprofen eg.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back XXXXXXX

Mine is just a guessing about the mass, this needs to be proven.

If it is a Neuroma that causes your concerns, it is a benign condition.

If no palpable mass, most probably your concerns are caused by nerve entrapment during its course through muscles and tendons, or back knee tendons (retinaculum) dysfunction, tendinitis eg.

You can have Ibprofen for tonight,if you're not allergic to it, and have no gastroduodenal ulcus.

Get examinated and don't worry more than necessary.

I think your condition is a benign one and treatable.

Hope I helped you. Wishing you good health.
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 18 minutes later
Thanks doctor. But I need to tell you that I have taken Lyrca 75mg 30 min ago can I take ibuprofen also and if yes what dose? Thanks .
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ibuprofen 400 mg.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again XXXXXXX

There is no bad interaction between Pregabalin ( Lyrica ) and Ibuprofen, so you can take 400 mg Ibuprofen, after meals.

Hope I helped you. If you have further questions, feel free to ask, if not, you can close the conversation and rate the answer.

Again best regards. Hope to hear good things from you soon.
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical