Suggest treatment for pain with renal failure and bladder pace maker

Dr. Gaurav Katiyar

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have a 8 yr bad medical history disabled kidney failure XXXXXXX for 6 yrs then bladder pacemaker stage two skin cancer chronic pyelonephritis I've been on 150 fentanyl patch and need to find other way to control pain addicted to patches please help would pain pump work
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Patch is safest

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query. You have already been diagnosed with:
Renal Failure
Have Bladder pacemaker
Stage II skin cancer
Chronic Pyelonephritis

Now coming to your query. You are already on Fentanyl Patch for pain. Fentanyl is given to you because it is safe for renal failure patients. Pain pump need Morphine and ziconotide for direct pumping into fluid around Spinal Cord. Both of these medicines are contraindicated in renal failure.

So in your case pain pump will not work. If the Fentanyl patch is not working there is no need to stop it suddenly as it will lead to withdrawal symptoms.
You should consult your doctor for another route of Fentanyl like sublingual spray or fentanyl lozenges (like Lollipop). It is more effective than present route.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Dr. G.Katiyar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj