Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for pain when suffering from atrophy?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1041 Questions
I have bieng told I have atrophy I have bieng ill for over a year and getting worse doctors don't seem to know what to give me or do iam on targin 120 a day and still in pain I have losed over astone in weight I have bieng off work for over a month iam a insulin dependant diabetic and have ostorperoses. Can you shed a bit of light on the subject. I
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 25 hours later
Brief Answer: You need complete physical examination by doctor. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query. You have mentioned history of insulin dependent diabetes, atrophy and osteoporosis. One I want to clear you that type 1 diabetes has long been associated with low bone density because Insulin-like growth factors and other cytokines may influence diabetic bone metabolism. So for this you have to get your physical examination done by doctor who then, advise you some form of drugs with muscle strengthening regime. I usually advise least 1,200 mg/day of elemental calcium and 400–800 IU/day of vitamin D to all my patients who have osteoporosis. In addition supplements, food, and juices can all be good sources of calcium. After doing your physical examination your doctor may advise you bone mineral density (BMD) obtained via dual x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) as is the most common standard tool for bone mass assessment. I usually recommend bisphosphonates (BPNs) to my patients as numerous clinical trials showing marked improvement in osteoporosis. My patients are also very happy after using bisphosphonates. Your doctor may advise you androgen replacement therapy, Salmon calcitonin. After your complete physical examination and above mentioned investigations your doctor may advise you certain exercise regime and medication. Avoid smoking, drinking alcohol, caffeine as much as you can. Your doctor may advise you some muscle strengthening exercise regime for atrophy. For pain management in your case you should consult your doctor regarding medications include 1 mg of hydromorphone 4 times daily for chronic pain secondary to osteoporosis and loxapine as needed if needed. Also once your osteoporosis get treated your pain automatically will go away. Al-last I would like to say that, you should not treat yourself own your own without consulting any doctor because only your doctor would decide best combination of treatment for you by doing your physical examination and by seeing your report of investigations. I hope you have got your answer. You are welcome to ask further health related queries. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: WWW.WWWW.WW Let me know if you have any concerns. Thanks. Dr.Singh.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor