Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
Thank you in advance for your help.
May be acid reflux (GERD) but should be seen to rule out cardiac cause.
I am sorry you are feeling ill with this.
People come in to the ER or Urgent Care clinics all the time with exactly what you are describing, as it is not obvious whether it is gastroesophageal reflux as a cause or a cardiac cause.
In general, GERD causes more of a sharp type pain whereas heart problems are more a feeling of pressure. But not always.
I would strongly advise you go in to be seen while you are having this. Especially because of the description of cold sweat you are experiencing.
If you go in, they will do an EKG which can show if there is heart strain (S-T elevation on the tracing). They will also draw your blood to see if you are having elevation of certain enzymes in the blood which can go with heart strain too. They may keep you over night so that they can draw the "cardiac enzymes" in a series over several hours.
I do not want to scare you about heart problems, and the most likely cause is acid reflux, which may be better treated with an H2 blocker such as ranitidine (Zantac in the U.S.) or a proton pump inhibitor medicine such as omeprazole. Just a side note - newer research is indicating that while proton pump inhibitors may have a stronger effect than H2 antagonists, they also have a potential for a nasty rebound effect. So I tend to recommend Zantac 150 mg twice a day. If the docs in the ER or clinic think your symptoms are from GERD, and you prefer to go with an H2 blocker, they may prescribe it in an even higher dose.
I hope this information helps. So go in - now - and be evaluated to sort this out definitively.
Please let me know if there is further information I can provide.
I followed your advice and visited a hospital. After some long hours and several tests I've been discharged as there wasn't any clear sign that linked my ailment to heart strain. I've been advised though,to follow up with some extra tests (treadmill) in order to rule out any possible heart condition.
Thanks again for you helpful reply.
Kindest regards XXXXXXX
I am glad you followed up.
Thank you for going in to the hospital, XXXXXXX It is impossible to tell the difference between cardiac and gastric caused pain sometimes. The exercise stress test (treadmill) will give useful information.
Best regards to you,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment for clavicle pain headache nausea dizziness
- Sublux clavicle pain treatment
- Suggest treatment for rib pain under the left arm
- Suggest treatment for severe pain under the breast
- Treatment and cure for Clavicle fracture
- Suggest treatment for back pain
- Treatment and cure for clavicle cancer
- Suggest treatment for pain under the leg and knees
- Subluxed clavicle prompt treatment
- Clavicle spur treatment
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis