• question-icon

Suggest treatment for pain under right rib cage area

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i was walking on the treadmill this am and sneezed......felt like something the size of a softball ripped under my ribcage on the right side front. I had to get to work and the pain has existed/increased all day
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can continue anti inflammatory meds, warm compress

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

As you would have likely assessed, it is likely a muscle strain that has occurred.

Muscle strain of the muscles of the chest can occur as a result of coughing and/or sneezing especially if persistent or a lot of force is used.
In some cases even without these 2 conditions

Pain can also occur in viral infections (eg if there was a viral cause for the sneezing etc) due to the direct effect or inflammation of the virus on the lining of the lung.
This is called pleuritis or pleurisy

Treatment with naproxen is appropriate, if this does not work for you, you can try one of the other anti inflammatory medications.
Sometimes the slight differences in mechanism of action can help eg diclofenac/cataflam, ibuprofen

In addition, a warm compress to the area may also help

If there is any persistent sneezing or coughing , this needs to be suppressed to allow for healing.
This can be done with over the counter cough/cold or allergy meds

It can sometimes take 1 to 2 weeks for the pain to completely resolve but if it is unbearable, you may need to see your doctor for stronger medication

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James