Suggest treatment for pain under rib cage post surgery

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I had the left lower lobe of lung removed three months ago dew to cancer. I have no pain from the incisions but I have pain under the rib cage. could it be the diaphragm or the spleen?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
chest X ray, ultrasound, clinical review by your D

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do understand how disturbing this could be. It is imperative to know the pain has been evolving. Is the pain a new onset pain or has been there since you were operated upon? If it just started, it might be very imperative to search for the cause. IN case the pain has been there since the operation, the evolution of the pain would be important. If it has been reducing gradually, it is no serious concern. If aggravating, it should be a problem.

An enlarged spleen could of course be at the origin. However, for a large spleen to cause such symptoms, it should be sufficiently big and is easily palpated in the abdomen, very easy to diagnose. A problem with the diaphragm will generally cause problems with deep inspiration or hi cup. However, a chest X ray and abdominal ultrasound are of utmost importance in this case. This shall indicate any possible spread or secondary cancer spread, liver and spleen sizes or any lesions to the spleen. See your operating doctor for a proper review.

Kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju