Suggest treatment for pain, tingling sensation and swelling in the lower leg

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: For the past several weeks both of my lower legs have been swelling. I have had this in the past when it gets really hot and my core temperature is inconsistent. However, this time is different. I am not sure why I feel that, it just is. Something is wrong. My left leg is swollen more and it is between the knee and calf, it swells to twice my normal leg or more. It is very red and hot on my ankle and foot which is swollen and red as well, I have muscle spams through out the day and night, shocking pain. Both my legs are swollen, but the right leg is not a bad. It is swollen from the knee down to ankle and foot. Also read. The spams and shocks and tingling are not as bad as the left leg. I am in constant pain now, I can barely stand or walk because of the pain and spams. Some night it feels as though my skin is going to split open and the end of my toes are going to explode out. I know I need to see a doctor, just don't what kind can help me. I am so tired now I just want to sleep all the time to avoid the pain.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult a cardio vascular surgeon immediately.

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxxxx,
Thanks for the query through Health Care Magic.. I have read it & understand your concern.
* All the symptoms you have & the attached reports ,point out possibility of Deep vein thrombosis .. Stasis of blood flowing tp wards heart due to inefficient valves in veins .. such blood gets clotted giving rise to swelling, pain, muscle strain & cramps also edema of the tissue causes pressure on sensory nerves supplying the part leading to shocks & tingling .Walking becomes a painful experience because of strained & inflamed muscles.Lack of movement increases blood stagnation & increase in symptoms& movements become painful & are with danger of dislodging the clot.So bed rest & early management is best strategy.
Possible cause of both legs being involved is thrombus formation at higher level of vein which carries blood from both legs to heart. The affected leg is more swollen in such condition.
* The way out of the problems needs to be an urgent consultation/ investigations to locate the clot & start an immediate treatment... to prevent further complications.
In this context I would suggest consultation of a Cardio Vascular surgeon... the earliest.
Till then you can have -
- Bed rest/ application of ointment like Thrombophobe to relieve local swelling/ Pain medicine available over the counter after food./ avoid smoking.
I hope, you find the answer informative & guiding. Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj