Suggest treatment for pain, swelling and discoloration in the hand

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Good morning, for the past few days I have been experiencing increasing pain in my right shoulder limiting movement of it. at first it felt more as a discomfort, but it has been getting worse the past three days to which it feels as if I can barely lift my arm. My bicep looks slightly swollen and my right arm has slight discoloration to it. The discoloration makes my arm look paler than usual and it's not very noticeable until you stare at it. This morning I feel slightly better can can move my arm a tad bit better, but I am unsure if that is because if the ibuprofen I took to help me sleep better last night. I am unsure of which doctor to go to or what exactly may be happening.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be sprain / Partial tear in Biceps muscle

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.

I have read your description of pain and swelling + discoloration.
In my opinion this is partial tear in Biceps due to some sudden jerk or weigh lifting.
I would suggest pain killers, Local Ice packs, and physiotherapy.
If there is no relief in about 10 days then go for MRI of arm and shoulder.

Thanks for the question.
Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj