Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for pain post injury and nerve damage

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 1619 Questions
I have nerve damage from a injury in R foot & ankle. Recently my foot has gone from occasional pins and needles to my foot sleeping for up to 6 hrs then wakes up with excruciating pain. Its doesn't matter if I am walking sitting or standing my foot will just sleep when it wants. Elevating my foot can reduce some pressure but not a lot. Why is it doing
this & what or who do I need to see other than my gp to treat this ?
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Pain Management
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs further Investigation to find the cause

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. To understand better I would like to know-Is your gait is normal?
Is there any bluish/blackish discoloration of skin of foot?
These symptoms may be caused by any disease which interferes with the blood and nerve supply of the legs. Although many medical conditions can cause but Diabetes is the most common cause leading to nerve damage that is neuropathy. In neuropathy, the leg nerves tend to become damaged first, at their furthest ends in the feet. This leads to tingling and numbness in the feet as well. The other cause is diminished blood supply to limbs. For this color Doppler study is the investigation of choice.
Do you smoke and take alcohol?

Beside diabetes other common causes are-
Chronic kidney disease (uraemia)
Vitamin deficiency (vitamin B12 and occasionally vitamin B6)
Low thyroid hormone levels
Vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels)
My advice for you would be get following blood test done to find out the cause -
Fasting and after meal(pp) blood sugar test, Urine routine and microscopic test, Thyroid profile, Level of vitamin B12,Blood urea and serum creatinine level.

Looking forward to your reply.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain post injury and nerve damage 16 minutes later
No I don't have diabetes,my bloods are regularly checked. I do show blood and protein in urine test. I do smoke 15 figs a day but constantly try not to. I have been diagnosed chronic regional pain in upper and lower body due to the hyper echo gen city in foot spreading up and into spinal cord. I have seen a rheumatologist but still awaiting response.
By gait you mean walk ? And no its not normal before and after planter fascia heel release. Physio and chiro weekly to keep body function. Have to walk on tippee toes while it sleeps.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
color doppler study is must beside quit smoking

Detailed Answer:
It's good to see you.
After going through your reply, three possibilities comes to me-
1.Long term and excessive smoking leads to inflammation of blood vessel leading to decrease flow of blood (Burger's disease).For this color Doppler study is the recommended test.
2.For hyper echogenic opacity in foot neurologists is the right person to visit.Please share more about this in your reply.
3.To assess kidney function in view of blood in urine,my suggestion would be to have blood test for serum creatinine.
Please quit smoking.
Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain post injury and nerve damage 7 minutes later
Thakyou for your reply. I will be requesting those test and hope they can provide more insight. As well as investing in quit smoking aids.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
All the best

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.
Please come back and may share the reports. To reach me directly you may log in at for any future queries.
Wishing you good health and early recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain post injury and nerve damage 50 minutes later
Thanks again . I feel I'm in the too hard basket with my local doctors as nothing seems to be treated and my symptoms getting worse.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May consult specialist doctor in another city

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome. As you are not satisfied with the local doctor, it’s my sincere advice to visit another medical centre nearby to your city (Sydney).
Hope I could do more for you.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain post injury and nerve damage 6 minutes later
I have just flown to Sydney to see Dr XXXXXXX Whittaker. Still awaiting diagnosis and treatment to be sent to gp.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may share the diagnosis with me

Detailed Answer:
What did the doctor said?You may share if you like.
All the very best and get well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain post injury and nerve damage 8 hours later
The rheumatologist hasn't provided answer yet. That's why I'm trying to find my own answers . desperate .
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
As follows

Detailed Answer:
I do understand your concern. If you have any queries do not hesitate to ask, I would be glad to answer them.
Wishing you good health
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor