Suggest treatment for pain on upper abdomen while laughing

General Surgeon
Question
pain right side upper abdomen only when I laugh
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Upper right abdominal pain is usually caused by gallbladder issues. As gallbladder and liver move when breathing, coughing or laughing, you may get pain when laughing. Most common gallbladder issue are gallstones. The pain usually radiates to the back. Nausea can be present occasionally.
If the pain is more in the rib area, rib nerve irritation can be also the reason.

I suggest you to consult your doctor and have abdominal ultrasound done at first. If nothing will be found, please consult orthopedist.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.