Suggest treatment for pain on side of face when diagnosed with sinus infection

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I have a history of long term sinus infection and issues particularly over the past 5 years. I constantly have an ache on the right side of my face under my eye and a sore nect. I just had a ct scan and it shows that I have very small maxilarry sinus on the same side. It also shows a high located wisdom tooth in the area with the root of the tooth possibly located in the area near the sinus, could this possibly be the cause of the problem and would removing the tooth simply fix the problem? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wisdom tooth may be the root cause of your problem

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your query and report; it suggests that most probably you are suffering from the right maxillary sinusitis and wisdom tooth may be the root cause of your problem.

I also suggest for extraction of the wisdom with at least five days course of proper antibiotic with antiseptic gargles.

It simply fixes your problem if osteomeatal complex of right side is not blocked.

Thanks

Wish you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 28 minutes later
Thankyou for your response. If the osteomeatal complex is blocked would this not allow the area to drain, thus clearing the remaining infection? How would i know if this is the case and how could it be dealt with?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If OMC is blocked this would not allow the area to drain

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your follow up query; and for your kind information if osteomeatal complex (OMC) is blocked this would not allow the area to drain.

Just go through your CT scan paranasal sinus report or send me the whole images of your CT scan with report to rule out this condition.

Management part i.e. medical or surgical depends on severity of diseases.

No need to worry but it is absolute necessary to first go for extraction of wisdom tooth.

Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 24 minutes later
I have uploaded another image of the ct further up on the transverse plane. I think this shows a passage to the maxillary sinus? I do have experience from studying a masters degree in sports science and rehabilitation however only on soft tissue injuries e.g. knee, shoulder etc. I can;t figure out how to easily load all the ct files though? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please send me the whole images of CT scan PNS or consult with your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

I have gone through your follow up query and image, but I would prefer to look at all the CT images. I think you cannot upload all the files here. Therefore I suggest you to upload the images to drop box / google drive or any similar cloud sharing sites and send me the link.

Thanks

Wish you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 25 hours later
Thanks, below is a link to the file with the scan. Why is the maxillary sinus so small? Is this an under developed issue also? or from the issue?

https://drive.yyyy.com/fyyyyyyyyid=0B4oSrg7s5NBFUVQ0aG9CVUtGbVE&usp=sharing
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 35 hours later
Brief Answer:
Underdeveloped right maxillary sinus

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your query and link; it suggest that you are having underdeveloped right maxillary sinus.

In my opinion extraction of wisdom tooth and conservative management are suffice to relieve your symptom.

Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T