Suggest treatment for pain in upper back and legs

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Thank you. I have been experiencing upper back leg pain, both seem to happen when I'm driving or seating for a lengthy period of time. It's very painful, ice seems to help but the pain is still there. Could this be a blood clot or sciatica. Heart and Stroke, very strong family history. Mother severe OA in Shoulders, elbows, hands, knees.....Paternal grandmother, died from CVA (stroke), 2 aunts on paternal side, both had strokes prior to dying. My father at 59 had a massive stroke. He never came home, spent 10 years in a vet hospital until a second stroke took him. My oldest brother at 54 died from a massive heart attack. Please advise. Thank you so much.
Gail XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Due to disc prolapse likely.

Detailed Answer:
The upper back pain that you have is likely to be due to a disc prolapse related to degenerative changes in the spine. It is not related to CVA or a heart problem. Sciatica can be associated with it. An MRI scan of the back will help in proper diagnosis and treatment.
Till then rest, oral muscle relaxants and hot compress will help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon