Suggest treatment for pain in upper back and arms

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Lupus
Question: I have had chronic pain in both of my upper arms (from top of shoulder to my elbow) for more than 6 weeks. It hurts to take off a shirt over my head. (Or to pull one over my head.) It hurts in my upper arms to type this message. I can't sleep on my sides because my upper arms start to hurt so badly. I toss and turn all night trying to alleviate the pain.

I have also had constant pain in my upper back where the first bone feels like a round knob. If you touch these areas they hurt and feel warm to the touch. It hurts to tury head.
I have pain in my legs too.
I hurt while trying to drive a vehicle due to pain turning the steering wheel and turning my head to watch traffic. I am 62 years old and I am still working.
What do you think this problem is?
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
? Arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Thank you for writing on health care magic

Well, the sort of pain you are describing in the shoulders does sound like it is a start of arthritis. But yes, the definite answer can only be given by examining the joints and seeing which all movements are restricted.

1. The pain in shoulders which is present almost throughout the day and worsened at night( that is at rest) goes in favor of inflammatory arthritis, that is some form of inflammation going on with the joint. IT is different from the mechanical/age related one as it is present in both the shoulders at the same time and not relieved by rest. Considering your age, one of the diagnosis should be POlymyalgia Rheumatica. It is a sort of autoimmune disorder which causes inflammation in the bursa and the muscles around the shoulder area and the hip muscles. Maybe that is what is causing you discomfort while driving as well.

2. The second thing i would suggest you to do is to take Vitamin D Supplement as well, as the deficiency of vitamin D can aggravate all the aches and pains

3. I would recommend you to get few tests done so it can give us a clear idea where we are heading:

1. ESR, CRP, Complete blood count
2. Rheumatoid FActor
3. Anti CCP antibody

These tests will give us a fair clue what the problem could be.

I hope the information was useful

Do let me know for more queries

REgards
Dr Naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Naval Mendiratta 4 days later
Dr. Naval,

I have attached my latest 2 lab test on my blood to see if I have

already had a test done to see if I have the polymyalgia rheumatica

you thought might be my problem.

Could you let me know what you think after receiving these 2 lab tests?

Thanks,

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reports Reviewed

Detailed Answer:
Good evening XXXXXXX

I have gone through the reports you have sent. They are all within normal limits. The liver function tests, Kidney function and Complete Haemogram all look good. :)

I could not find the ESR, CRP though, which I wanted to see for the inflammation part. Could you look into it if it has been done previously.

Await your reply

Dr Naval

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Naval Mendiratta 7 hours later
I will see if I can have those done soon. Thanks for your review of my data.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Oh no problems at all. I am glad I could be of some help. But yeah, get these 2 tests and Vitamin D Levels done so we can figure out the cause of your shoulder pain.

Do let me know for more queries

Dr Naval
Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist