Suggest treatment for pain in throat along with cold

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am 29 years old and have a baby of 5 months. I have pain in my throat, also little bit cold. Please suggest the medicine I can take to get relief.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is safe to take medications used in children. Try home remedies first.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. All medicines used for children (pediatric) are usually safe for infants if you are breast feeding the child.

2. Hence you can either avoid medication if the sore throat and cold is mild and use Betadine gargle (diluted 50:50 with water) and steam inhalation initially or you can take an anti-histamine (such as cetirizine) and an anti-inflammatory (such as crocin) if the symptoms persist.

3. You can also try home remedies such as turmeric in milk and honey based mixtures to soothe the throat, The other important issue is avoiding the transmission of the cold and sore throat to the baby by frequently washing your hands and face.

4. I would suggest more medication such as antibiotics, cough mixtures only if there is fever, pain, bodyache or worsening of symptoms.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 36 hours later
I had visited the ENT specialist today and he had prescribed the medicines. According to him there is swelling in the gland. He had also adviced to go through the ultrasound if the pain still exists after 5 days. Can you now please explain this a bit further. I have attached the prescription.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Palpation can help differentiate the salivary gland from a lymph node.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. From the attached prescription it appears that you have a swelling under the jaw.

2. First complete the course of medication. If this persists, you may have to get a USG Neck done to differentiate a submandibular salivary gland swelling from a submandibular lymph node swelling.

3. Another way to differentiate is by palpating the gland with a gloved finger through the floor of the mouth and at the same time with a finger of the other hand from the outside (neck). If the swelling is ballotable (can be bounced back and forth between both fingers), it is a salivary gland and if it is not ballotable, it is a lymph node.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist