Suggest treatment for pain in the wrist

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
My boyfriend is recovering from pneumonia but now has these red welts that are painfull on his wrist,between and around fingers also his feet. And his feet feel like they are on fire. What could this be? He still is having fevers as well. He finished his antibiotics two weeks ago and he's still so weak. I'm worried but the VA says he probably has bone spurs! That sounds crazy to me.
Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I don't think it is due to bone spurs.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
I have gone through the image you have attached.
I don't think it is due to bone spurs.
Since he is still having fever, we should definitely rule out blood infection (sepsis).
Pneumonia can cause sepsis and this in turn causes fever and similar skin lesions.
So better to take him to hospital and get done chest x ray and CBC (complete blood count).
He may need antibiotic and anti inflammatory drugs.
Please let me know if he is having joint and muscle pain along with skin lesions.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your boyfriend. Thanks.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain in the wrist 43 minutes later
Yes he is having joint pain. He’s hardly able to walk

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to take him to hospital for investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
In my opinion, you should definitely take him to hospital for investigations to understand the disease and start appropriate treatment.
Please let me know if any investigations like chest x ray or CBC (complete blood count) is done or not.
I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your boyfriend. Thanks.