Suggest treatment for pain in the wrist and hands post injury

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was pushing on our lawn mower with the heel of my hand, it sipped, and I don't think I actually hit my hand or wrist, but I suddenly had a huge vein on the bottom of my wrist get big, almost to the size of say, a #2 pencil, and I have pain in my wrist right there and into the palm of my hand. I've iced it for about 15 min and the swelling and vein haven't gone down. My range of motion is ok it just hurts when I flex my hand back and the skin gets tight over that vein. How concerned should I be about this. It's pretty uncomfortable, but I have a high pain tolerance so it's not really something I want to go to the ER for if not absolutely necessary.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is most probably soft tissue injury

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. .I do not think you need to go to ER at present.I think it is most probably a soft tissue injury. I have following suggestions for you.
1.ice application should be continued.
2.compression bandage can be applied.
3.volitran gel local application.
4.Avoid massage or lifting heavy objects.
5.Tablet Etorixoxib if pain is severe.
I hope these steps will be helpful for you. let me know if there is any other followup questions.
thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 2 hours later
Thank you! I have been icing it again, the swelling in the vein has gone down, but I do have a lot of bruising in my wrist and hand. The pain isnt bad enough for me to be too concerned. I will take it easy with my hand and wrist as you suggested. Thank you again!
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wish you a fast recovery

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for following my advise and using healthcare care magic. I wish you a fast recovery.