Suggest treatment for pain in the upper back and GERD

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I woke up early this morning with lateral pain in my upper back--under the shoulder blades. First it was on one side and then on the other. I do have GERD. I took 2 tums and it seemed to ease. But it scared me. I also get cramping type of pain across my chest, just under my breasts, when I bend over sharply. Is that the same thing?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As pain is responding to antacids most likely due to GERD and Gastritis.

Detailed Answer:
Firstly I would thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,

As pain is responding to Antacids it is most likely due to GERD.Due to regurgitation of contents from stomach into food pipe patient usually presents with severe heart burn and chest pain(bending increases regurgitation)..
Pain in back can be because of disc prolapse or herniation.A MRI spine screening should be done along with serum calcium and vitamin D levels.As in old age due to low levels of calcium or vitamin D also pain can be there.
Tests advised -
2D echo doppler and E.K.G to rule out cardiac involvement as gastric symptoms often overlaps cardiac symptoms.As your age is 76 cardiac involvement is to be ruled out especially when you are complaining of pain across chest.
MRI spine(to rule out cause of back pain)
Serum calcium and vitamin levels(Deficiency associated with back pain in elderly)
Treatment-
Follow all dietry restriction(You must be following them already)
-A low fat diet to be taken
-Avoid spicy food.
-Try to eat organic vegetable and fruits.
-Avoid citrus fruits and juices.
-Drink cold milk.
-Avoid Meat.
-No smoking or alcohol.
Along with life style changes
Take Prilosec 40mg once daily empty stomach to provide symptomatic relief. Antacids like Tums can be continued to neutralize the acid as and when required.However Mucaine gel will provide beter symptomatic relief.

Thank you and follow up with reports.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad