Suggest treatment for pain in the thighs

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 17 May 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My son is experiencing chronic systemic muscle tension that is causing him severe pain. He is one of the most physically fit people I know... He eats extremely healthy...He is in PT school and has tried everything known to him to try to alleviate the intense pain, from stretching to anti-inflammatories...He is 24 ..the pain is mainly in his thighs, but has now traveled into his shoulders and hip....He is very worried that it is RA...We have an appt with a Rheumatologist next week....I am thinking that it may be an autoimmune issue with an inflammatory component....Ibuprohen does help for the timespan he takes it...Please let me know your thoughts....pk
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs further workup

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Is there any muscle weakness?

Do get him evaluated by a Rheumatologist to look for Autoimmune disorders, Muscular dystrophy, Juvenile Rheumatoid arthritis.

Get blood tests for CRP, ESR, Creatinine kinase levels. These will help narrow down the cause.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D