• question-icon

Suggest treatment for pain in the testicle

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Men's Health
Question: Hi, got home from work two days ago and started having pain in my right testicle. I read that it could be an infection and started taking some penicillin I had from the dentist. After two days the swelling and pain is worse. It doesn't hurt to urinate and feels much better as long as I'm laying down. Is there anyway for me to tell what's going on and if I should see a doctor or if it will clear up?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Management of epididymo-orchitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

Epididymoorchitis is treated with a combination of ceftriaxone and levofloxacin (penicillin alone is not sufficient).
Urine analysis, culture, microscopy and culture of urethral swab are required to confirm the diagnosis and to see if the bacteria responds to antibiotics.
Taking penicillin alone can lead to bacterial resistance and it will become more difficult to treat.
Other causes of testicular pain like testicular torsion also need to be ruled out.
So please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider for confirmation of diagnosis and management accordingly.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 54 minutes later
Ok thanks, ill stop taking the penicillin and get in to see a doctor is it ok to keep taking the ibuprofen until then? It will be monday before the office is open again.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
hello again,

You can continue taking Ibuprofen.
I would also recommend that you follow up with the urgent care as soon as possible.
It is better not to wait with testicular pain, as testicular torsion is a concern that have to be ruled out. Waiting on testicular torsion have serious complications like testicular tissue necrosis.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal