• question-icon

Suggest treatment for pain in the ribs

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: for the last several monthes I have spasms at the bottom of my stetum and left lower ribs it is a terrible pain what is it? I also take several medicibes for gerd
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be angina or heartburn.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I've gone through your details and I appreciate your concerns.

As per your query, there are two possibilities:

Retrosternal chest pain(Behind and below sternum) with radiation to ribs are a very classical feature of pain due to cardiac involvement termed as angina.

So initially I'd recommend you to go for a test called stress echo to rule out possibilities of angina.
Once the possibility of coronary artery disease is ruled out it can be due to severe heartburn caused by GERD.

In GERD acid in stomach regurgitates back into esophagus damaging the layer of mucosa.This damage causes inflammation and pain which radiates to sternum and chest area.

Please let me know the details of the medicines you are on for GERD so that I can guide you regarding other medicines that can be used.

Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 minutes later
I'm also coughing quite a bit of yellowish mucus
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Sorry for a bit delayed reply.
As the acid released from stomach irritates the mucosal layer of esophagus it secretes large amount of mucous.This mucous can lead to cough better termed as irritant cough.

Go for the investigations i adviced and follow up with report.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist