Suggest treatment for pain in the rib cage post injury

Posted on Mon, 12 Dec 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I fell a week ago at work. Initially I thought I just injured my rigt knee. I took some pain killers and that has subsided. But I also remember my breast BONE HITTING THE FLOOR. Now I have pain in my rib cage (left side) It hurts more when I bend over or wear a bra. I've had this past week off. (vacation time.) Didn't plan on spending it nursing my aches. I have some expired ultram pills or naproxen. I'm wondering if either would help manage pain or is ibutropin a better choice. I have to go back to work tomorrow. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
My answer is below .

Detailed Answer:
Hi Dear ! Welcome to HCM,
I have gone through your questions and I understand your concern .

From what you've mentioned, I can understand that you have minor bone and muscles injury, painkillers will help (Naproxen or others).

You don't have any difficult breathing, right ? If yes you should go to the hospital for further evaluations (Chest X-Ray in the first place..)

Ultram (tramadol) is stronger than naproxen , but expired Ultram will have No effects, don't use it. Also it has more side effects because it's a narcotic drug. Ibutropin is not a painkilller will not help to the pain.
Take Naproxen, or Ibuprofen if you have or other painkillers (eg. Paracetamol or Tylenol would be ideal in this scenario). Take them twice to thrice daily after food . Don't use them for a long time.

Hope i have answered your questions.
If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
Take Care

Dr Rudina
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rudina Balliu 3 hours later
Thank you. I feel better knowing I am treating this right. I tried Icy Hot over the area and it seemed to help a bit as well. And no, I am not having trouble breathing. About how long do you think it will take to heal (?3-6 weeks?).
Brief Answer:
Thank you for the follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again !
Glad to know you feel better.
Its good that you dont have breathing problems ,shows that is not something to be worried for any possible big damage.
Both helps but its better to use only warm water , not cold, after 1 week .Warm water will help to speed up the healing. If you can also massage the area little, will be helpful.(if you can stand the pain while you do that)
Usually 2-3 weeks or more deepens how much are the tissue damage .The pain will be less and less while the days pass away.
Don't use Naproxen more then 3 days to prevent any side effect (like stomach irritation or renal damage).

Hope this is helpful.
If you do not have any other clarifications ,you you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. REMY KOSHY
Dr. Rudina Balliu