Suggest treatment for pain in the penile head and urethral itching

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I have a minor ache at the tip of my penis and sometime the just the whole head. I feel as if my urethra is irritated. Not all the time but at times I will feel these sensations throughout the day. I have been feeling like this the past week. I saw a doctor 3 days ago. He said there was no need to test for gonerrea and he prescribed antibiotics.
I received oral exactly 5 weeks ago.
I have no discharge from my penis no rash nothing. Just my head at times feels tender as well. Any ideas? I do feel as if the antibiotics are working. But I still feel like something is there I'm on day 3 of 7 days of antibiotics.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no need of any specific tests. Relax .

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the minor pain at tip and the rest of Penis.

After diligently analyzing your query let me reassure you first that overall there is no possibility of any Sexually transmitted infection in your case.

In majority of Sexually transmitted diseases we find either an ulcer or discharge or vesicles or related thing. In your case there is only pain part which is the most common finding in anxiety states.

I quite often counsel your kind of cases where even minor anxiety could cause such kind of perception of pain. Even repeated self examination of penile area could induce pain perception or discomfort of various grades.

In some cases the non specific infection of urethra could induce minor pain. Your doctor has wisely guided you for the same and given you a course of antibiotics.

In my opinion there is no need of any specific tests. I suggest you to relax your self and drink plenty of liquids on daily basis to flush the urinary system.

I hope this helps.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 7 hours later
I also just mastubated to see how it feels. I didn't feel any pain when I climaxed, but my head felt irritated. Also after I urinate I still feel like going again, but nothing comes out, and I still leak a bit.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms not related to any major STD.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back and thanks for your further follow up.

In my opinion it appears to be simple non specific urethritis. I suggest you to complete the course of antibiotics give by your prescribing doctor. In my experience such kind of symptoms are not related to any of the major Sexually transmitted diseases.

Drink plenty of liquids and avoid intercourse for few days. Allay all your fears too as more of anxiety states also causes such kind of urinary problems.

Relax and don't worry about the possibility of any Sexually transmitted infection.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 5 hours later
I only have 2 days of antibiotics left. From your experience how long does it usually take for me to be back to normal?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Generally these symptoms are cleared within one week.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back and thanks for posting your further concern.

If it is due to simple urethritis then you will feel good relief after a week period when complete clearance would be there.

But as I explained you that the kind of perception you have is many a times felt in anxiety states also or over thinking of some grave possibilities. So in those cases of more anxious states one can find the symptoms of ache or pain as long as the anxiety state persists.

I suggest you to have a normal routine and relax yourself for any grave possibility. It will give you a sense of well being.

I hope this helps.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia