Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for pain in the middle finger

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1649 Questions
I have severe pain in my middle finger and have been taking Neurontin & Tizanidine (both 300 mg) but my pain does not go away. I had a #5 disk replacement 2 yrs ago and the doctor told me that would take care of my pain but it has gotten increasingly worse. What can I do? Are the prescriptions Neurontin & Tizanidine suppose to help the pain. I want to get rid of the pain. What should I do to get rid of the pain totally?
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: NSAID, hot compression, topical analgesic gel Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using HCM. I went through the query and understood your concern. The pain in the middle finger may not be reduced with Neurontin & Tizanidine as the drugs you are taking may take care of pain due to nerve problem and due to muscle spasm. Tizanidine is a muscle relaxant and will help in relaxing muscles around the spine. For now because of pain you can take 1. NSAIDs like ibuprofen 400mg. 2. Hot compress in the area of pain 3. Topical analgesic gel. Along with this you need to do regular stretching exercises for the affected spinal region and avoid weight lifting, prolonged duration of sitting in a same posture and involve most of your time in some activities. Have plenty of water. Since the pain due to #5 disk replacement has not reduced even after 2 yrs I advice you to get reevaluated once with your surgeon just to rule out any other problem. Hope this information helps you. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor