Suggest treatment for pain in the lower arm after injury

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: My 5 year old daughter injured her upper arm practicing front rolls. Can lift it slightly, but is causing medium to heavy pain from her lower shoulder to her wrist. Treating with ice, elevation and ibuprofen.
How do we rule out a fracture or broken arm? No obviously deformity.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
X ray

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Health care magic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. If there had been a fracture, movement would have been compromised. An X ray will help in ruling out a fracture. However a clinical evaluation by a doctor is needed. He would be able to identify the extent of the soft tissue injury including that of ligaments and tendons.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 hours later
Thank you so much for your follow up and guidance.

Her condition has greatly improved, along with her range of motion. The pain has decreased. She can lift her arm and took off her jacket. She can also grasp small things with her hand, but still complains of pain with any weight bearing motion.

We continued to ice her arm and gave another dose of ibuprofen.

Would her improved condition still warrant an X-ray and visit to her pediatrician or should we continue monitor her condition?

Many thanks, and have a good evening.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Sorry for not being able to respond earlier. It is great to hear about the progress. Please continue to apply ice compress. A physical therapist will be able to guide you on which exercises would be helpful for her.

I do not think that an X ray is needed. It is quite clear that fracture has not occurred (else the condition would have worsened). Soft tissue injury cannot be detected on X rays. So, perhaps an X ray can be skipped.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj