Suggest treatment for pain in the lower abdominal area

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a pain in my lower abdomen on the right hand side. It comes in waves but is never entirely absent. It radiates from the front to my back on the right of my spine. I have taken two Aleves but they are not effecting the pain. I have had bouts of IBS recently but they have subsided or perhaps just have changed sides since they occurred on the left. I am also a bit constipated and urinating frequently as I am trying to drink a lot of
water. I am taking some medications for Primary Biliary Cirrhosis although I have not progressed to the cirrhotic stage They are ursodiol & mycophenolate and I take them daily. Oddly enough although I have
been trying to rest and using a heating pad the pain feels better when I stand up and walk around. I've had
the pain for four days now. It is moderate. I work in the garden so may have strained my back but don't recall when or how.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ureteric stone- UTI or retrocecal appendicitis as the most probably cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thank for your query and an elucidate history.
To recapitulate: Female/79 - pain in right lower abdomen - radiates from front to the back - in waves - but never absent entirely - frequency of urination - which you feel is due to drinking a lot is water - 2 Aleve did not help rest and heating pad - IBS with pain on left recently - bit constipated at the moment - taking fibers and pro biotics - taking Ursodiol and Mycophenolate for Primary biliary cirrhosis not in cirrhotic stage - better on standing and walking around - 4 days - moderate - work in garden might have strained the back ...

The pain that starts in front and radiates to the back is usually due to the following reasons:
Urinary tract infection with a stone impacted in the ureter - you have frequency of urination and the character of the pain is spasmodic that is comes in waves.
Retrocecal appendicitis with fecoliths can present in the same way.
The strained back may not have such a presentation in usual circumstances.

I would advise you the following in such a circumstances:
Attend the ER or your Doctor.
Get the tests of blood, urine: routine, microscopy, culture and sensitivity.
Preliminary ultrasound and confirmatory CT scan as ultrasound can mise a lot of things.
Clinical evaluation and an actual examination.

These things will give you the most proper diagnosis and a plan of management.
I hope this answer helps you to get an early and proper diagnosis and a plan for management.