Suggest treatment for pain in the leg

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have pain in my leg from my sciatic nerve. How can I releive the pain? I am a construction worker and need to climb on roofs etc.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Muscle relaxants and rest will help.

Detailed Answer:
The pain due to compression of sciatic nerve is usually related to a disc herniation at the level of spine. The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. You can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng