Suggest treatment for pain in the left hand

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hey doctor,

Since yesterday now I have had this pain on my left hand with my first finger when I lift it upwards it feels kind of like a pulled muscle but just in my finger I have attached an image of the motion that triggers it. The day before yesterday I bought this new watch and I wore it a little too tight that night on that arm and I think that is what caused it as I can see the nerves connect there. What the best way to let it heal any stretches I should do and also to dim the pain a little as it can get quite painful every time I lift that finger?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tendonitis likely.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in the finger that you have can be due to tendonitis due to compression of the tendon at the level of wrist. You need to give it some rest for a while, use hot fomentation twice a day and local ointment for pain relief. Avoid gripping and lifting objects altogether. Keep it in most comfortable position or use a splint/crepe bandage most of the time (including at night) for best results. Watch for worsening of symptoms like increase in pain, appearance of swelling and tingling numbness in fingers. If you get any of these, visit your physician and get a check up done followed by investigations like X ray or MRI.

It looks like it will resolve on its own in a couple of days with rest and mild pain killers.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng