Suggest treatment for pain in the knees and lower legs

Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I'm 49 yeas old black male. 318lbs down from 341. I stayted jogging on the treadmill, and me knees and lower legs have been in pain for a while. I get pain in borh knees and my lower legs are sore. Some times i get a tingly feeling from my thighs through my lower legs. My lowerback also hurts, worh sime hip pain sometime. My doctor prescribed melioxican dor the pain. Your thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
spinal straightening exercises by a chiropractor, muscle relaxants, hot massages, vitamin supplements should be fine .

Detailed Answer:
Hi I'm Dr Ahmed Aly
Thanks for asking HealthcareMagic,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

In my opinion, you may have some form of sciatica on top of arthritis due to nerve compression.
Don't worry, it is very common and also have variable degrees and from your given history you seem like an active 49 years old black male .

In mild cases, pain subsides simultaneously with relaxation without any treatments or painkillers. Meloxicam is a NSAIDs used to treat pain or inflammation caused by rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis in adults .

You may avoid heavy lifting, vigorous movements , bad sleeping and sitting postures, good that you've shed some pounds, but as you know, there's still need to loose more.

Physiotherapy , spinal straightening exercises , hot massages with topical gels and even yoga are effective in most of cases .

Muscle relaxants , Vitamin B12 supplements with previous instructions will be effective for most of cases .

If pain persists despite these, i'd recommend an MRI of lumbar spine to exclude spinal disc compression/herniation and a neurologist consultation for proper evaluation and management .

Any further clarifications feel free to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 23 minutes later
Why the mention of a neurologist?
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In more complicated cases, neurovascular compression on spinal nerve roots happen and neurological examination is required in those cases

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

In more complicated cases, neurovascular compression on spinal nerve roots supplying the leg causes numbness and chronic pain due to disc herniation .

Neurosurgeons may decide what kind of treatment is necessary and whether medical or minor endoscopic intervention needed to free the nerves or even surgical solutions with plates and rods to fixate spinal vertebrae in more severe cases (do note that all these are a probable cause based on the findings of radiological studies and clinical examination only).

Hope this is clear now.

Follow up: Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 8 minutes later
Thanks for the clarification.
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow-up

Detailed Answer:
My pleasure,

Take Care