• question-icon

Suggest treatment for pain in the hands and legs of a child

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello, my son is 2 year old with weight 9.4 kgs. He is though under weight but both father and mother are also skinny since always. He is constantly undergoing pain in hands and legs and is generally cranky most of times. He also have very limited/ almost nil exposure to sunlight. He is advised Kinetone by one pediatrician and Macalvit syrup by another. He is also advised Uprise Vitamin D XXXXXXX While we try a lot giving him proper meals, we do not succeed always. Pls suggest what we go ahead with? What combination of Supplements are good to go ahead with? Also when he undergoes aches in night and is unable to sleep we give him feveril drops. Any suggestions on how these medicines are and if they are safe to give will also make us parents relax, cos our general instinct is that we should over do medicines to our kid.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I need more information - please upload the test results

Detailed Answer:
Hi...I understand your ocncern. By what you say I feel that your kid is failing to thrive and probably has a vitamin D deficiecny.

Please revert back to me with anwers so that I can guide you better.

Questions -

1. What was the birth weight and what is the current weight?
2. What is the current height in centimeters?
3. What is the exact date of birth?
4. How is the attaining of developmental milestones?
5. Is the stool oily and floats in the pan?
6. Is there any colour change in the hair or skin?
7. Is there any history of recurrent serious infections?

PLEASE UPLOAD ALL THE BLOOD TEST YOU HAVE DONE SO FAR DATE WISE PLEASE.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 31 hours later
Questions -

1. What was the birth weight and what is the current weight? Birth Weight 2.6 kg
Current Weight- 9.6 kg
2. What is the current height in centimeters? 96cm, 3 feet 1 inch
3. What is the exact date of birth? 23.06.2015
4. How is the attaining of developmental milestones? Good
5. Is the stool oily and floats in the pan? Hard Stool but without pain
6. Is there any colour change in the hair or skin? NO
7. Is there any history of recurrent serious infections? NO - He is otherwise a healthy kid

We have not conducted any blood tests as such.

His all vaccines are done.
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on vitamin D supplement and diet

Detailed Answer:
Hi...

1. I have calculated your child's height and weight according to his date of birth. His height is at 100th percentile and is perfect. His weight is less than 5th centile, which means he is underweight.

2. You have not uploaded any of the blood test reports as I had requested. But still with the information which you have given I would like to suggest that vitamin D level if in deficiency range requires 30000 International units per week for 6-8 weeks.

3. Vitamin D is only a vitamin supplement and is safe when given in this particular dose and that too based on deficiency status. Overdose can cause headache and vomiting.

Apart from this, for his underweight I would like to give you some suggestions - I take this opportunity to tell you certain scientific facts and relieve your distress -
1. An active is a well kid even if she/ he is not eating well.
2. Development of a kid is as important as or I would say even more important than growth alone.
3. As the kids grow their interest in food decreases and interest in play activities increases so that they eat small quantity and run away to play. As parents we need to be more patient and feed than less quantity but more aliquots per day.
4. This age rather than the quantity of the food I suggest you concentrate more on the number of times you feed her and also make whatever you feed her calorie dense by adding good amount of ghee to it.
5. I suggest you not to use appetite stimulants on long run as they may cause drowsiness.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 19 hours later
My primary query remains sir, whether Macalvit syrup will remain sufficient as a supplement for Vitamin D deficiency or we should also add Uprise Vitamin D XXXXXXX
Secondly he is also taking Kinetone syrup. What combination of medicines we go for?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on vitamin D level and Vitamin D supplements

Detailed Answer:
Hi... coming to your queries one by one -

1. You can use Kinetone Syrup.

2. Regarding usage of Uprise D3 XXXXXXX I had replied in my previous interaction that it depends on the level of vitamin D and this is the reason why I had asked for uploading the reports.

3. Same is the case with Macalvit Syrup also. I need to know the vitamin D level for this also.

CAN YOU PLEASE UPLOAD IMAGE OF ALL THE REPORTS WHICH YOU HAVE DONE TILL NOW.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology