Suggest treatment for pain in the gums

Posted on Wed, 12 Apr 2017 in Dental Health
Question: Hi
I have been having pain in my gums on the right side since yesterday morning..I have only 5 teeth on the bottom right. On the that side of my mouth on the bottom, i have hardly no bone left. It wasnt hurting before and now it started to hurt. I have like a little bump on my neck behind my ear. and it hurts going down my neck. I'm just wondering what i can do for the pain. Could i have an infection? I really dont have money to go to the dentist, thats why im asking here. I have dentures on the top and a partial on the bottom that i dont wear cause it hurts to much. My dentist knows all about the right side of my mouth where theres hardly no bone left.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to sharp edges over the denture.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

If you have pain in gums due to which you are not able to wear partial denture then there is a possibility that here are sharp elevations on the tissue surface of the denture.
It might be lacerating your gums causing inflammation and pain..
You should get your denture examined by your Dentist so that if there are any sharp elevations they will be smoothed by trimming.
For pain in gums you can apply numbing gel containing lignocaine or choline salicylate.
Do cool water rinses and take a soft diet.

Now about your second problem.
A lump behind the ear can either be an inflamed post auricular lymph node or can be infection in the mastoid bone or Mastoiditis.
Consult a Physician and get evaluated.
You can be advised a course of antibiotics and anti inflammatory painkillers if there is infection.
Doing cool compresses can also help..

Please write back for more questions.

Hope this information helps.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 38 minutes later
I haven't worn my bottom dentures in a long time, they have tried to fit them before and never got it right, I have 5 front teeth and the dentures snap over them....the pain is in my gums. The lump behind my ear is that from my gums being infected? Cause I think I had this before and then it went away. Will this go away on its own? How long do I do a salt water rinse, I have been doing warm, is it better cold?

thank you
Brief Answer:
The lump may or may not be related to gum pain..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for writing back..

Well, first you need to get it checked that what is the reason for the lump..
If it is swollen lymph node then it can be due to the gums but if it is Mastoid then it not be due to gum inflammation..

So first get a clinical examination done..

You can continue warm saline gargles 2-3times a day.

Hope this helps.

Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Can a dentist see if the bump is a cyst or mastoidis ? What do they do for that anti biotics? ..I just want this pain gone. Will the dentist take X-rays and give me something if I have an infection?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics will help in resolving Infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the query..

The Dentist can make a provisional diagnosis and will refer you to concerned Physician.

But if there is Infection suspected he will definitely advise you a course of antibiotics and painkillers for relief till you proceed for further investigation..

For pain relief you can continue anti inflammatory painkillers like Ibuprofen (Advil) and if pain is severe you can go for higher painkillers like Tramadol after consulting emergency room or a local Physician..

Hope this helps..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 10 hours later
Hi

Its feeling a little better today. Will this go away on its own. If I keep doing the salt rinses? How often should I take advil?.....Cause I really don't have the money to go to a dentist.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Take Advil twice a day.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for writing back..

You can take Advil twice a day..

Continue doing warm saline gargles..

How about the lump behind the ear?
Is it improving?

Please write back..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
the lump behind my ear seems a little smaller then before...my ear inside does hurt a little bit. and my ear all my life has been really dry around the outside of my ear, that i put lotion on it the other night, maybe that was wrong do that, it was a lotion with perfume in it. could that be causing or irritating it? its dry around the top of the ear in the back on the top part and its dry on the bottom part of my ear...Is there something i could put on there besides the lotion i have?

thank you
Brief Answer:
Did the swelling occurred after putting lotion?

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Did the swelling behind the ear happened after you put lotion on it or it was before itself..

As your ear hurt did you ever got examined by an ENT Physician?

Which lotion are you putting?

Please revert back with answers..

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 4 hours later
Yes after putting on the lotion, it's apple blossom and lavender lotion, from bath and body works. I never noticed it before that, it kind of stung when I put it behind my ear. I was just to the doctor about 1 week ago and she looks looked in my ears and found nothing , she checked my neck too, and had me swallow. And said I was ok.

How long will it take to go away? I'm in a little pain, not as bad as yesterday.. I've been doin salt rinses and Advil.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hopefully it will be better in a week..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
You can apply simply petroleum jelly for dryness or Aloevera gel..

You should do cool compresses over the swelling and continue taking advil and other remedies as advised..

Hopefully you will be fine in a week..

Hope this helps..

Regards..
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist