• question-icon

Suggest treatment for pain in the groin area

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: My boyfriend was hospitalized last month for pneumonia and he had trouble holding his urine a couple days before he went in the hospital. He was prescribed antibiotics while he was in hospital. He has been out of the hospital for a month. He recently experienced pain in his groin area after becoming aroused. Could this be related to a kidney infection?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible diagnosis : Prostatitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HCM

Groin pain when aroused is more likely to be a prostate infection than a kidney infection.
Confirmation of diagnosis requires a physical examination, rectal examination to assess prostate, Blood PSA levels urine analysis, and culture.

Treatment is with antibiotics like levofloxacin.
You can also take Tylenol (if not allergic) for pain.
Please be advised to follow up with your treating physician for further evaluation and management.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal