• question-icon

Suggest treatment for pain in the foot and wrist

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello,

Just curious if two pains are connected;

Sometime ago, immediately after leaving the gym, a sudden sharp localized pain on top of my left foot came on (see image). I had purchased new shoes, wore them for a few days, and then this pain came on. Didn't have the pain until after leaving the gym and now, everytime I put those shoes on, or even another slightly larger pair, the pain comes back as if it never healed.

The other one is a sensation that came on last night; a dull/semi-sharp pain has come one under my left lower forearm/wrist that slightly feeds into the palm/pinky (I play guitar a lot which is how I noticed it).
I've noticed the pain today without having even played guitar.

I'm curious if these are related, something like diabetes/nerve damage or if they're probably separate issues, like a pinched nerve and carpal tunnel?
I am overweight (245lbs at 5'8") so that's the concern of it.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pain caused by the shoes and carpal tunnel syndrome.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.
I saw tour photos.

The pain in the foot is related and caused from your shoes, since it happens when you use them. This is very typical and common. The problems they cause may be permanent so try to avoid them before this happens.

The pain in the wrist is most possibly carpal tunnel syndrome. Playing guitar can be the cause, because it is caused by repetitive movement. That is why you are feeling the pain even when you didn't play guitar, because the carpal tunnel is a nerve damage and it needs up to 6 weeks to heal completely when you avoid the cause.

I don't think the pain in the foot is related with the pain in the wrist. We have clear causes for both pains. Don't stress yourself by overthinking causes that in this case does not stand Diabetes doesn't cause this type of neuropathy.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 26 hours later
Thank you doctor. Ive noticed that the arm/wrist pain will come on strongly also when working out (and obviously with guitar playing). It feels more localized now (below the thumb as well as the palm). I really do hope it is carpal tunnel and not something diabetes .
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
This sign is not from Diabetes.

Detailed Answer:

Diabetes does not give that kind of neuropathia. It is evident more in the feet.
Even though, problems with nerves in diabetes come in very advanced stages. So, this is not a good way to diagnose diabetes.

The best way for you to know if you have diabetes, since you are worried about it, is to do a fasting blood sugar.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Klarida Papaqako