Suggest treatment for pain in the ear

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 15 Jul 2016 in General Health
Question: Hey dr,

Yesterday morning I woke up with a slight pain in my right ear. As the day progressed in seemed to come more apparent and more painful. It's now the following day and it still hurts even more so now. Now I have had ear infections many times in the past usually in the right ear as well so it's a recurring thing for me. My question is how long should I wait before seeing a doctor to see if it'll clear up on its own? This has happened in the past but I can't remember how long it took and I'd rather not jump straight onto antibiotics again. Also in terms of pain management what is the best way to go about treating it?

Kind Regards,
XXXX

I forgot to mention that I am also on minocycline twice daily for the treatment of acne so I am not sure if there are any medications I can't have that'll have a bad interaction.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to visit to doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for trusting hcm about your health care.
I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.
The chances of ear infection could be a possibility due to side effect of minocycline also because you are using it for long period of time.

But before giving my opinion I want to know your symptoms other than ear pain.

Are you having ear discharge?
Head spinning?
Swallowing difficulty?
Fever,vomiting etc.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 3 hours later
Hey dr,

I don't have an ear discharge, no head spinning, it does hurt when I swallow but only in my right ear and no fever or vomiting just the earache in my right ear. Also i've only been on minocycline for a month and I was on doxycycline for a month prior to that and I never had any issues.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to side effect of minocycline.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Sorry for such a long delay in my response.
Your symptoms could be due to side effect of minocycline.
But if you took doxycycline and no side effect, your pain could be due to tonsilitis,wax,sinusitis and otitis media etc.

So you should consult a ENT specialist to rule out the cause of persistent pain.

Hope found useful.
Good luck.