Suggest treatment for pain in the breast and ribs

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi
I get a pain on the left side,just below my breast,behind my rib cage,worse in the evenings.What could it be?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms do not seem to be related to any cardiac disorder.

Gastro-esophageal reflux or a musculo-skeletal pain could be the cause of your troubles.

Are your symptoms modulated by deep breathing or body movement?

I would recommend trying an antiacid or a PPI (omeprazole, pantoprazole, etc.). If it helps relieve your symptoms it would be indicative of gastro-esophageal reflux underlying your symptoms.

If this doesn't help, I would recommend trying ibuprofen. If it helps relieve the pain, it would indicate a musculo-skeletal pain.

But, if your symptoms are not relived by these drugs, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a physical exam and some tests to investigate for the possible causes:

- a chest X ray study
- a resting ECG
- complete blood count, PCR, ESR for inflammation
- a cardiac stress test.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri