Suggest treatment for pain in the bilateral lower extremities

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I experienced severe bilateral lower extremities pain for most of the night last night. Ice packs and literally sinking my feet in our cold backyard pool worked temporarily. Then I would go to bed and the pain would be unbearable. My husband & I were in a major accident, 11/11/16. As a result, my injuries were severe (R) side sciatica, (R) hip pain, (R) leg pain and LBP. Would the injuries from the accident manifest this type of pain. Will walking 1/4-1/2 mile cause the pain as well?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get examined and investigated

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.

Disc prolapse in lumbar spine can cause compression of nerves or narrowing of canal which manifests as severe radiating pain or pain aggravating on walking.

You should visit a neurologist for a thorough examination and evaluation.
Repeated MRI may also be required.

Medications like Pregabalin or Gabapentin can be used for neuropathic pain along with pain killers and muscle relaxant (after getting checked up by the neurologist).

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Do get back to me in case of any further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee