Suggest treatment for pain in the ankle with stiffness and mild sweling

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Back Pain
Question: 9while walking quietly this AM i experienced a noice in my R ankle for 3 sec then I was able to continue waling without any pain. Over the course of the day i developed pain in the ankle with stiffness and mild sweling and now 10 hours later I barely can walk
Just got home and put ice
Do I need to have an X-Ray. Could it be a sprain without trauma?
MI absolutely need to work over this long WEy ankles are usually stiff and numb (saw a neurologist , think maybe long track problem fro his exam)
i absolutely need to work this long WE
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a stress fracture.

Detailed Answer:
The noise in the ankle followed by pain and swelling and inability to bear weight is likely to be due to a fracture. Without a trauma it can be a stress fracture. A sprain is less likely. You need to attend an ER and get an X-ray done to find out.
Till then keep the foot elevated, ice the area and avoid bearing weight on the foot.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon