Suggest treatment for pain in tailbone after child birth

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 13 Dec 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am 4 weeks postpartum and my tailbone and entire left leg is starting to cause me pain. My tailbone hurt for the first week after delivery, but the pain went away until recently. The pain seems to radiate down the back of the left leg. I'm even getting tenderness on my left heel. In addition, I have experienced a sharp pain in my vagina region that pulsates for a few seconds then goes away. This is only happened twice, but it stops me in my tracks. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
neuroradicular pain

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the query.

I have gone through your question and understand your concern.

The pain that you have mentioned is most probably due to inflammation of the sciatic nerve that is situated behind the sacroiliac joint of the pelvis.

During pregnancy,as the pelvis size increases due to baby growth,this sacroiliac joint tends to stretch causing the nearby sciatic nerve to get inflammed. This in turn causes radiating shooting pain to the legs and genital region.

This will eventually get better as the days progress.

Use lumbosacral corset around the waist,take methycobalamin and pregabalin tablets for 1 month. Anti inflammatory tablets like paracetamol / tramadol will be helpful.

Local analgesic sprays with hot fomentation will help alleviate pain.

IMPORTANT - Before starting the above medicines,consult the paediatric doctor to ensure about the safety of these drugs as far as baby's health is concerned.

I hope the answer was useful.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Thank you.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng