Suggest treatment for pain in shins

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have had pain in the side of my shin for months but its getting worse. it feels like a red hot poker type pain which is a constant 3/10 but regularly becomes so painful it stops me in my tracks. Doctor sent me for a x ray as I said it feels deep but it came back normal. I can press an area on my skin and it feels bruised bit I have no marks or blemishes. I am on waiting list for ultrasound but this may take 10/12 months as waiting list is long. im worried! I am constantly tired, often dizzy and sleep 12 hours a night but I have underactive thyroid (diagnosed 10 months ago) but TSH is in range since taking Thyroxine. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Spine disc problem in lumbar area.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such pain is very characteristic for spine disc problem in the lumbar area. Hot and cold feeling, hypersensitiveness, numbness, tingling are typical signs of nerve compression. You may have back pain, but not necessarily.
As long as the back of your shin (calf) is not swollen, painful and hard, veins thrombosis is not the case.
X-ray wont reveal nerve compression. That is why I suggest you to consult orthopedist and consider spine MRI.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon